The summer bud waits to unfurl with the first drop of rain. The monsoon showers purge away the heat dryness, bringing to life all that is shrivelled and wilting. And, in the heart of these rain blooms, oozes the nectar of life- quivering, pulsating, throbbing – with a renewed energy, lending that air of freshness. A fresh breath energy flows through every being – from the earthworm to human being.
Wellness this monsoon – The Ayurvedic way
The essence that is brought to the fore: everything begins from nature and finally diffuses into the 5 natural elements- fire, water, earth, ether, sky! That nature heals, rejuvenates, replenishes is the science of Ayurveda. And, the monsoons with their dramatic effects on the elements, impacts the human body system considerably.
It is that time of the year when all that gets accumulated during summer needs to be flushed out. Somewhat similar to spring cleaning but in a larger frame. When Nature chooses her way to cleanse the earth, humans have the benefit of Ayurveda treatment to detox! Let us see why and how!
The Science of Ayurveda, the nature of life
As per Ayurveda, one of the ancient Indian treatises of medicine, the constitution of the human body is based on the five natural elements. The five elements, in turn, make up the Doshas – Vata(space and air elements), Kapha (earth and water elements) and Pittha(fire and water elements). Each individual has an inherent Dosha – or a combination of two Doshas, which to a large extent also determines the personality, intellect, emotional stability and sorts.
The optimal functioning of the body system requires that these doshas are in the right balance. Meaning the right proportion, as they are the energy channels that nourish each cell and organ. A dosha imbalance erupting because of an ailment disrupts the energy flow and also leads to an accumulation of toxins. The triggers for an imbalance may be external(lifestyle, environment) or internal(genetic, stress etc). And, it is essential that the toxins are flushed out for the body to recuperate and rejuvenate effectively.
Purge, Purify, Pulsate with energy – The Karnataka Ayurveda treatment
Over and above the body’s synchronized metabolic processes that expel toxins and waste, residues pile up over a period of time. Excess residue turns toxic yet again disrupting the dosha and energy balance. How does one ensure that the doshas are in the right balance? How does nature permeate through Ayurveda to help you replenish and regain the lost balance?
With the onset of monsoon, the summer heat retreats into the cool breeze. What of the body heat and the ‘brow-beaten’ doshas that don’t seem to align with the sudden changes? Ayurveda’s detox regimen for the monsoons or the Karakataka treatments come to your rescue.
Ayurveda treatment is a combination of massages, herbal remedies, yoga and meditation. The Karakataka treatments help to remove the excess Doshas and increase energy levels while rejuvenating the organs they focus on. Some of the Ayurvedic treatment packages that are generally prescribed during the monsoons are:
- Shirodhara is a stress-busting treatment, where medicated oil, milk or buttermilk is poured over the forehead for a specified time. It helps to alleviate from neurological problems such as insomnia, depression, anxiety and brings about a state of calmness.
- Abhyanga is where the body is massaged with large amounts of warm oil. The oil is infused with medicinal herbs(depending on the requirement and condition of the person undergoing the treatment) The massage helps to enhance blood circulation, rejuvenates the organs and strengthens the muscles.
- Swethanam is letting the body flush out toxins by making it sweat and by liquifying the wastes internally. In Pinda Swethanam,poultices made of oil and herbs are pressed on different parts of the body. On the other hand, Pita Swethanam is one where the body is subjected to an herbal-concocted steam bath to achieve the desired result.
- Vasti is the medicated enema treatments administered through the perineum, or the anus or vagina as in the case of women. It helps to cleanse the lower part of the body and is often used for treating kidney stones, backache, constipation cold etc. The toxins are expelled through the gastrointestinal or urinary tract.
- Pizhichil involves gentle massage with warm medicated oil that is poured all over the body. With the person made to lie on a wooden plank, the massage brings about relaxation, while rejuvenating the muscles at the same time. Pizhichil is the best treatment for curing arthritis, blood pressure, rheumatic diseases etc.
- Virechana applies oleation(oil massage), fomentation(poultices of herbs and oils), emesis(vomiting) and medicated steam bath to remove excess Pitha. The treatment helps to cure inflammation, headaches, jaundice and certain gynaecological disorders.
- Udhwarthanam or deep, full-body massage using herbal powders help to stimulate and break down fat-storage beneath the skin. It is mainly used for weight loss and treating obesity. Dry grains, a variety of oils and milk are made into a paste and applied all over the body and allowed to stay for a period of time, and cleansed through a warm bath. The treatment can be for medical purpose or for relaxation.
Over and above, the wider ambit of Panchakarma for deep-seated impurities also cover Vamana(emesis or vomiting), Rakthamoskhana (purifying the blood), Nasya-nasal (administration of herbal oils) The Vasti, to name a few, can be integrated with Ayurveda monsoon treatment therapies.
With the monsoon’s hitting the coast of Kerala and Karnataka, speciality Ayurvedic centres of these regions are ‘concocting’ treatments in full swing. Backed by a wealth of experience, and a team of experts, you will be on a path toward effective healing, at these centres.
And one such place to find a wholesome and rejuvenating experience of these ancient Ayurveda treatments is Balkatmane Heritage Spa resort.
Located in Udupi, the luxury spa resort offers a plethora of authentic treatments.
With an environment designed for a refreshing change from the routine of everyday life and services that ensure you have a comfortable stay, Balkatmane creates the perfect environment to administer Ayurveda.
From relaxing ones like Shirodhara and Abhyanga to therapeutic kinds like Kati Basti and Greeva Vasti, there are over 20 healing treatments administered by healers well versed in Ayurveda. Balkatmane also has resident doctors who can chalk out a diet with the right food after understanding what you seek, for a wholesome experience during your stay here. Taking it to the next level, the luxury resort spa also offers customised weight loss programmes that can last for a few weeks, depending on your preferences.
A fine mansion with top-notch services combined to offer the ancient knowledge of Indian medicine for a rejuvenating experience is what you will find here. And to top it all off, the resort enjoys proximity to the sea.
So, don’t shut yourself indoors, as the rain lashes down the window panes. Step outside let the earthy freshness of monsoon seep through as you learn to recuperate and rejuvenate naturally.
1 thought on “Ayurveda Treatment – The Wellness of Mind and Body”
Ayurveda is not a pathy it is the way of life. your blog is very informative. it cleared the Panchkarma therapy very clear.